Tuesday, September 8, 2026

semi-social / isolation

I'm the sort of asshole who can't do parties.  Generally speaking.  Work has a party, I can't.  Everyone insists they want me to attend, I can't.  The whole crew makes a point of it, I can't.  The person it's for, my boss, she's having a baby shower--  but I just can't.  I leave an envelope offering to do a baby portrait and vanish in a puff of Can't.

And when I disappear down to the beach, to sit in my favourite tree & finish reading about the contemporary history of the theory of postmodernism--  I still can't.  People notice me and remark on how cute I look sitting there, how perfect a place to sit that is, etcetera:  I just can't.  Do I speak to anyone?  Do I interact?  The hell I can.

Eventually the book's done & I descend quiet as a raccoon to fuck off home, to contemplate dinner and whether or not I have anything else in me.  Can I finish art?  Do I want to?  The visualizing comes easy.  The wherewithall, maybe it's the trade war, maybe there's shortages.  In the main, though, it's the people all around.  I want to be social:

But the actuality of interaction, all these voices, all this clamour over fuckall--  it's people.  People make it impossible.  If it were only animals, only insects, only plants swaying in the wind...  But I crave to be able to "relate" to others, to talk, to bridge the surrounding emptiness.  And I can't.  I only want my husband.  I don't want the rest of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment