Yesterday was an OCD day. But the basic model kind. First I took my OCD out on the beach, digging in the dunegrass for cans, scouring the land of all its impacted water bottle caps, and being generally observable by the lazyass patrons as "That guy is cleaning every corner." Knocked out two full sized garbage bags of rubbish. Then I took a break to write a while, beginning the Grand Re-Type (as this phase of the process is known) of PROMISELAND, doing five pages. No major edits, yet. Then I went back do it, knocking out another bag and taking on a broader swath of greenspace. After THAT, I went home and started inking.
Inking when I have OCD is one of those things. Ink is sacred. Especially when doing brush stuff. Fucking up is hard on my psyche. So I try to get the condition "tamed" before doing anything artistic. Clearly I succeeded, because the brushes behaved and there weren't any hiccoughs of Intent. As long as the Intent behind the mark-making is pure, the work is true. But if there's anything hinky going on in my brain things go sideways. I was cautious, to be sure; mostly the inking was stark bucketfill, with some minor dry brush; I saved the major detail focus for the very end, placing drop shadows and adding weight to elements of the face.
The only lines which may be placed on a Prepared Drawing-- a drawing that's been through all the stages of development, multiple sketches & careful composition --are lines that Belong. Lines which "belong" are lines that either emphasize or complete an element of an image. An eye, for example, may be almost entirely drawn, but if it needs weight or shading along the edges of the eye's orbit (the folds of the lid, say, or defining the planes of the nose & brow) then those should be placed as they are Noticed. If you see something absent, affix a light stroke in the absence's vicinity. Affix it where the light source(s) would place it, quickly and by instinct, as light itself does.
This may sound very casual, but it's true: action's truth is in its invention. An absence may not be Seen or Noticed until the other ink is placed and cementing itself in the paper. Absence must be created, as much as anything... But be cautious: the aim is not to make work, but make work whole.
Casual, shit, this stuff probably sounds Mystical to anyone who doesn't have wrong with their brain what I do, with mine. Not every drawing winds up like this. Only the ones my mind deems important. Sketches, I could give a toss. Improvisation isn't alien to me. But some art, it achieves a higher rank in my mind, and must be executed in a certain way. That's when the rules of behavior start to creep in. That's when I know the OCDemon is upon me. The "rules" I have bolded here are not things I consciously think; they are conclusions extracted from an unconscious, semi-conscious, state of null. The nullity is one of feeling as much as mind. I do not sit to ink, when under the influence of obsessive-compulsive disorder, unless I am empty of desire.
Which may or may not be 100% true, sometimes. Because nobody starts working on something serious or "important" without desire of result. The archer does not notch or loose an arrow without the truth of intent within them. But are Truth of Intent and Desire of Result mutually exclusive? I shouldn't think so. Nothing is mutually exclusive except in chemistry or higher math. But then, this is not science. this is OCD. And OCD is groping in the dark with gloves on and a dulled grasp. I only know what is right, and I am not always right about what is...
Selah.
No comments:
Post a Comment