Thursday, August 13, 2026

red light by night

This morning, in the early hours, doing my yoga & watching a bat belly sail directly overhead, picked up the faintest red thumbnail paring of the new moon.  I say "picked up" when fact is my eyes could not directly perceive it.  If I looked at where the moon was supposed to be, every star & satellite in its vicinity was brighter than the narrow band of spectra the moon threw.  Something red-- something around, above, below red --radiated when-ever my eyes were on other targets.  An eclipse from any other angle is a new moon, I guess.  But I like to think I saw something special.  Inasmuch as it was visible.  Which it was!  Just not in any way that I could actually draw or render, coherently, in print.  Abstractions of light are especially appealing to me but I know nobody sees what I see in such things...  Anselm Kiefer could do a motherfucking massive barn door painting of it and get the feeling of it exactly right.  But his trick is scale.  My medium being comix, it's hard to evoke that sense of scale where everything in the world is larger than your equipment is equipped to take in.  Nighttime and lakeside are Big Feelings, and I fret, frequently, that my approach to composition and pagination are too micro- to encode the macro-cosmic correctly.

And, shit, anyway, how do you push the concept of "red" in strict b&w, or even b&w + graytone?  Been grappling w/ ink & print for 32 years years & that riddle is still too zen for my blood...

No comments:

Post a Comment