Not much to say here, apart from the epiphany that sometimes, when reading, a work does not sit well with a reader because they have their own book. My experience of being queer in North America is certainly not this author's, and vice versa. But he's using a familiar toolbox, the tools are anyone's to use, & I do not believe what he has built is very like what I have built. It's been a couple years since I decided to create a queer horror novel; I think mine stands on its own, and does not make the choices made here, because-- I'm not writing for the marketplace. I don't want to write for the market. I think orienting oneself towards that goal neuters the actual emotions of apprehension, anxiety, nervousness & fear that power such work. All that said, 'Red X' is not a bad book; but it is not a Great Book, as horror / folklore goes. It reads like work by a writer who feels beholden to the broader history of horror, as chronicled in the twenty-first century; it feels like 'Danse Macabre' and many other King books besides; it echoes too many other things, and speaks not enough for itself. It feels like a second novel, shepherded to print with the assistance of an editor who's looking to make their career off a Hot Young Author. But mostly it feels like I need to stop reading it, soon, because I have forty pages to go and too little patience left.
Sunday, August 23, 2026
on reading 'red x' by david demchuk
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment