Sometimes I'll just be cooking soup on the stove and I'm back in the aftermath of the accident, waking up in the hospital. I'll just be doing something mundane & efficiently and I'm right back in the middle of being sewn up and then left in a dark hallway listening to the sounds of a hospital on a bad night with the network down and wondering what happened and where I am and if my husband knows where I am.
It's a little discombobulating in that it's just memory. Very clear, very clean memory. Memory wired to pain and confusion. That doesn't get dull. It's the stuff that isn't keyed to the Big Notes that tends to get slippery, now.
Anyway. I'm okay. Yesterday I was just experiencing flashes of pain. Today I'm involuntarily reliving their point of origin. As I prepare potato and corn chowder. I just got done with all the prep.
"Hello," says Siegfried as he returns from work.
No comments:
Post a Comment