It's not the physical satisfaction, it's the physical habit.
Having OCD & quitting smoking is... I don't think I can tell you. The physical habit is the thing. Being a smoker causes a whole series of physical tics that the Art Brain becomes conditioned to; these manifest as tics and tendencies that are a bastard to get on top of. They become determinants. They determine the amount of time one spends doing anything. They structure the day. But no more. It has to be me, not the habit, that does these things. It was always me. It must be my volition, not my addictive tendency, that organizes my day. How else am I to admit joy into my life? Where is the room for it to grow? So.
Long story short I threw away my one-hitter this morning. I've been using that thing over a decade. Its case had been physically reshaped by the constant use; its base had been machine-level when purchased, but after ten years plus its posterior surface more resembled a well-tempered anvil than anything resembling flat. A constant companion and witness to my degenerate addiction, that device.
Walked up to the end of Kathy Osterman pier and slung it as far as I could into lake Michigan: my last act of pollution in this life.
With it I gave myself permission to let go of the behaviors I had taken on, in my adoption of the habit of smoking from my first boyfriend, Cameron, when I gave him money to buy a pack of cigarettes but then insisted on smoking half. Just to be petty. Made myself sick doing it, like a natural born idiot. Smoking was a thing gay boys in the South did. It became a socialization thing, a homosocial bond, especially at the time I adopted the habit, in the 90s. It became part of being closeted, too. And once the act of smoking became attached to my fondness for marijuana it became this ingrained, criminal, furtive behavior associated with a whole life that ended decades ago. I am not a criminal, I am not a closeted scared kid, I am a well-adjusted angry old faggot who has to let the bad go along with the habit. I'm holding onto a whole world that doesn't HAVE to exist, for me, in this life, any longer, by holding onto smoking and the little rituals of addiction and the self-segregation that smoking causes. So today I gave myself permission to let it go.
And then did the little act of necessary defiance and sacrifice and consign a physical manifestation of a decade and change of my life to the sedimentary floor of a lake greater than any I have heretofore known. That part of me can stay there, down deep where nobody will find it but me, when I think on all the little wasted seconds that went into that stuff. Smoking is a motherfucker. I won't miss it.
No comments:
Post a Comment