Yesterday was one of those where I committed a scene without meaning to. I was writing something else, hacking bits together-- in this compositional phase of a script I refer to this as "roadwork", where patches get steamed out & fitted into a sequence --when a morbid thought hit me. A morbid thought adacent to personal experience. So that was given room to grow, and next thing, three extra pages. Going to hack at that today. THE KILL HOUSE is now at 56 pages, pre-formatting & editing.
Some of "writing by accident" is discipline. Write a little every day, whether intended for posterity or greater purpose or just farting around. Eventually bits happen, whether intended or not, or accrete material as a result of scale & gravity, and next thing one knows: writing.
In the midst of the unplanned Bit, comedic instinct appears. Gestates, as the lines are honed, then breaks the surface of the roadwork. Now these bits have to be shaped. Line edits happen. Read, re-read for flow. The Bit has become a Sequence. Toward the end of the sequence, unbidden, a joke flowers. A pun, sobconsciously conceived & thrown into the mix. Too much? Or just right? Where did all these jokes come from, anyway. Weren't we just writing something serious?
This is where it's most important for me to trust instinct. There was no outline, but there's a rise & fall to the action & dialogue, one I can sense the shape of now. The verisimilitude I'm after requires human response, and a vital impulse in this craft, I've found, is making room for jokes. Leave room for response. The jokes grow all on their own. Some of it may be the Editor's Mind, taking shots at the Writer's Tendencies-- the editor, with his red pen, can cook like it's open mic at an improv club --but then there's the Writer, who's just trying to break tension with the Three Stooges (my Script Idiots, known as Motive, Plot, and Post-hoc Justification (patches plot holes)). The writer just wants to sit all his little freaks together in the front row and run through the lines. He didn't set out to make a big production out of it. He needs his creatures to co-habitate, profitably. The quickest way is to get 'em giggling.
I keep writing horror, because I've experienced enough of my own to need an outlet. Part of writing horror is needing breaks to vent tension, deflate things, break it down and build it back up. So there's a lot of dumb comedy in my work, and it would (I'm confident) be considered surplus to considerations in terms of page count or runtime. But it's my shop. I'm the letterer, too. So I get to do whatever I fucking want. And mostly I don't want to run a by-the-numbers, Serious shop. I want to keep it moving, keep it organic. The only way to get there, in my experience, is by trusting Accidents.
No comments:
Post a Comment